Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke will be buried in a secret location in Italy, his lawyer said on Saturday, following a long legal dispute after the former SS officer's death in Rome last week, reports AFP on Yahoo 7.
"We have an agreement with the authorities over the burial of Erich Priebke in a secret location," Paolo Giachini said, after a funeral rite for Priebke earlier sparked street clashes near the Italian capital.
Asked by AFP whether the burial would take place in Italy, Giachini answered "yes". Italian news agency ANSA later reported him saying the location would be "either in Italy or in Germany".
"The agreement satisfies the family and ethical and spiritual requirements," Giachini said, adding that there would be "a small ceremony for relatives" following the burial rite.
The German embassy in Rome said it had not been contacted by Priebke's lawyer and had no request for a burial, ANSA quoted embassy sources saying. There is concern among Italian officials that if any burial plot becomes public it could become a pilgrimage point for Nazi sympathisers.
The 100-year-old died while living under house arrest for his role in the massacre of 335 people -- almost all of them civilians -- in the Ardeatine complex of caves near Rome in 1944.
Nazi war criminal to be buried in secret (Daily Telegraph)