Police gave no information to parents after YMCA allegations

2310royalcomm

The Royal Commission into child sexual abuse has been told that police could have responded better in the wake of allegations of sexual abuse by a YMCA childcare worker, reports the ABC.

Parents have told the commission they hit a brick wall when they tried to find information about whether their children were safe or had been abused by a paedophile.

In early October 2011, police received a complaint that Jonathan Lord had abused a child during a YMCA excursion. Lord had been stood down from duty and in the weeks that followed, more victims came forward to police. Parents with children in the YMCA's childcare services south of Sydney were alarmed by the allegations.

One witness known as AW told the royal commission on Thursday about the confusion and distress of parents who had nowhere to go to get information or advice. "It's not every day that you come to the understanding that your child may have been sexually abused by someone in an institution," AW said.

"There was nothing. We were told 15 days later as to how to ask questions about abuse, but how can any parent sit around for 15 days and wonder and not ask their child about something that might have happened?

FULL STORY Police gave no information to parents after YMCA allegations

Mass on Demand

home-video-thumbnail

From St Mary’s, North Sydney. The first Mass of the day on YouTube

Mass Online

home-video-thumbnail-nobttn

Live streamed from Our Lady of the Rosary Cathedral, Waitara

more

Daily Prayer

Daily Prayer

All your daily readings, reflections and prayers can be found here... 

view