A Victorian family facing deportation next month are a step closer to staying in Australia after the Immigration Department agreed to reconsider their case, the Monash Leader reports.
The Lee family, who are facing deportation to South Korea on September 28, will have their case reconsidered by Assistant Immigration Minister Alex Hawke after he met with Bruce federal Labor MP Julian Hill yesterday.
Last month, the local paper revealed the family’s desperate plight after they were scammed $100,000 by a migration agent and misadvised by a lawyer who was assisting them at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
Daniel Lee said he was grateful to the minister for reconsidering their case.
“We’re not going to get our hopes up but just to know that we have a chance to stay is the best news we could receive.”
He said he was thankful to the community, including St Christopher's Parish in Syndal, for their ongoing support.
Mr Lee's brother, Bryan, said it had been an emotional rollercoaster for his family, but he was hopeful for a good outcome.
“After all that we have been through I am still scared because this is our last chance,” Mr Lee said. “I love this country and I am so grateful to everyone who has supported us.”
Mr Hill said: “I am grateful to Assistant Minister Alex Hawke for meeting personally with me this afternoon to discuss the Lee family’s plea. Together, we reviewed the new material which demonstrates the exceptionally strong community support.
“The Assistant Minister has agreed to call the matter back up from the Department and reconsider the case.”
A Nightmare: a tale of Australia’s immigration system (Catholic Weekly)