The Mayor of Rome has warned the city risked coming to a grinding halt over a budget shortfall and hinted that the ceremony for the canonisation of Popes John Paul II and John XXII, on April 27, is at risk, reports Ucanews.
'I'll halt the city from Sunday,' Mayor Ignazio Marino told the Mix24 radio station. 'The politicians are lucky because they have chauffeur-driven cars, but the Romans won't be able to move around. People will have to fend for themselves,'
The government announced Wednesday that it was dropping the so-called 'Save Rome' decree, which was passed by the administration of new Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's predecessor Enrico Letta. This was because it had been hit by obstructionism from opposition parties and was not on course to be passed within the two-month time limit from its approval by the cabinet.
Late in the day, Renzi, whose government was sworn in Saturday and passed confidence votes in parliament Tuesday, vowed his cabinet would approve a decree Friday granting provisions to Rome and cash-strapped local bodies such as Milan Expo 2015 and for Sardinia after recent floods.
Marino urged the government to move fast in a media blitz that was at times critical of the nascent government. 'In March there won't be money to pay 25,000 city employees, to pay for fuel for the buses, to keep the nurseries open, to collect rubbish or to organise the canonisation of the two Popes, an event of a planetary scale,' he said.
FULL STORY Italy's financial woes threaten popes' canonizations (Ucanews)