This website is the digital home of the Missionary Sisters of Service, a religious community founded in Tasmania last century to travel the 'highways and byways' and lend a hand where needed.
The publishers of this website say that 'Our motto is "Into the highways and byways." We have a particular concern for people on the margins, geographically, culturally, spiritually or socially.'
The story of the Sisters of Service begins with Fr John Corcoran Wallis, who had a vision for women going into rural and outback areas, seeking out people beyond the reach of the care and supports so readily available to others; women who would visit people in their homes, support, encourage, counsel, teach and empower them to nourish their families and communities.
On July 8, 1944 in Launceston, Tasmania, the first four women came together: Gwen Morse, Monica Carroll, Kath Moore and Joyce O’Brien. Later that year they were joined by Valerie Casey and Agnes Ryan.
This courageous group of women became the foundation of the community of Missionary Sisters of Service.
Over the following years the community grew in numbers and into its mission and identity. Missionary Sisters of Service became a familiar presence in many areas of Tasmania, the eastern Australian States and South Australia.
To visit this webpage and read more about their spirituality and works, CLICK HERE.