A Victorian family facing imminent deportation have won the right to stay in Australia, the Monash Leader reports.
The Lee family, who lost $100,000 in a migration scam and have lived in Melbourne for nine years, were resigned to returning to South Korea on September 28.
But they had their case reconsidered by Assistant Immigration Minister Alex Hawke after he met Bruce federal Labor MP Julian Hill on Wednesday.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection said Mr Hawke had intervened in the case yesterday, granting all members of the family permanent visas.
Daniel Lee said his family was overwhelmed with joy by the news.
“We’re so happy, we can’t believe it,” Mr Lee said.
“My family and I want to thank the Monash Leader, Julian Hill, St Christopher’s Parish in Syndal, Alex Hawke, Peter Dutton, the Korean community and everyone who has backed our change.org campaign,” he said.
The family, who migrated to Melbourne from South Korea in 2008 to start a business, had been facing deportation after a Department of Immigration ruling.
Mr Hawke agreed to meet Mr Hill on Wednesday and decided to personally review the case.
Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart also lobbied the government.
It is understood the strong support from the community and character reference was critical in the reversal of the decision.
Fr Pat Jackson, from St Christopher’s Church, said he and his congregation were relieved that their prayers for an “11th hour intervention from the Lord” had been answered.
They are a wonderful family and valued members of our community,” Fr Pat said. “It is a wonderful result and we thank the minister for listening to us.”