Indonesian Christians ‘devastated’ by suicide attacks

Rosalia Siswaty with a photo of her nephew Aloysius Bayu Rendra Wardhana (Ryan Dagur/ucanews)

Christians in Surabaya, Indonesia, say the community is struggling to recover from shock and loss following suicide attacks on three churches on Sunday. Source: ucanews.com.

The attacks, carried out by members of a single family with links to the Islamic State group, initially killed 13 people and left scores injured. Some of the bombers included young children.

Another attack on police headquarters the following day by another family – including an eight-year-old girl – left at least four dead and 10 injured. Since then the death toll had risen to 25.

“Parishioners are still haunted by trauma,” said Fransiskus Xaverius Ping Tedja, security coordinator at the Santa Maria Catholic Church.

The church was the first one attacked and where at least six people lost their lives.

Despite the bombing church activities are still going as usual, including daily Mass, said Mr Tedja.

“There has been an increase in the number of people attending Mass, because they want to pray together for the victims,” he said.

Rosalia Siswaty, an aunt of Aloysius Bayu Rendra Wardhana who was killed while trying to prevent the suicide bombers from entering the church, said she and her family were very proud of her nephew’s actions.

“We are devastated by this incident, but we are also proud because he died saving many people,” she told ucanews.com.

Parish priest, Fr Alexius Kurdo Irianto said the church is now focusing on providing assistance to the victim’s families.

Surabaya Mayor, Tri Rismaharini ordered blanket security to ensure that “there would be no more incidents,” according to public order agency spokesman Mimik Sugiono.

“We do not want to lose any more people,” he told ucanews.com.

Security has also been tightened at Protestant and Catholic schools, he added.

“We always coordinate with intelligence services and security measures are based on their information,” said Mr Sugiono, adding that at least 10 security personnel are stationed at each location.

Catholic youths have also been asked to bolster security, including at Surabaya’s Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, said Indra Tewa, a church security coordinator.

“Since the incident, every night, there are 30 Catholic youths on guard,” he said.

FULL STORY

Surabaya Christians left reeling after suicide attacks (ucanews.com)

RELATED COVERAGE

Is there a militant resurgence in Indonesia, the largest Muslim-majority nation? (The Catholic Leader

Mass on Demand

home-video-thumbnail

From Parish of Our Lady of The Way, North Sydney & Lavender Bay. The first Mass of the day on YouTube

Daily Prayer

Daily Prayer

All your daily readings, reflections and prayers can be found here... 

view