Cardinal Sean O’Malley has announced a major investigation into St John’s Seminary in the Archdiocese of Boston, following allegations made by two former seminarians. Source: CNA.
The cardinal, who is Archbishop of Boston, also announced that the rector of the seminary, Msgr James Moroney, had been placed on immediate leave to allow for a “fully independent inquiry.”
The announcement was made in a statement on Friday.
Cardinal O’Malley said that he had learned of the allegations earlier that week, after posts by the former seminarians appeared on social media. The archdiocese has not confirmed the exact nature of the allegations.
“Earlier this week I was informed that two former seminarians of St John’s Seminary in Boston Archdiocese had posted allegations on social media sites including the archdiocese’s Facebook page that during their time at the seminary they witnessed and experienced activities which are directly contrary to the moral standards and requirements of formation for the Catholic priesthood,” Cardinal O’Malley said.
The cardinal, who also serves as the President of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, stressed that he has not yet been able to either prove or disprove the allegations, but that the matter was being treated with the utmost seriousness.
“As Archbishop of Boston, with responsibility for the integrity of the seminary and its compliance with the Church’s Program for Priestly Formation, I am committed to immediate action to address these serious matters.”
Cardinal O’Malley said he had directed the inquiry to examine “the allegations made this week, the culture of the seminary regarding the personal standards expected and required of candidates for the priesthood, and any seminary issues of sexual harassment or other forms of intimidation or discrimination.”
Pope Francis meets with Chilean Abuse Prevention Council (Vatican News)