NSW commits extra $127m to abuse prevention and support

Gladys Berejiklian and Pru Goward (Facebook)

The New South Wales Government has committed an extra $127 million to help implement key recommendations from the child sexual abuse royal commission. Source: The Daily Telegraph.

The new money, which brings the government’s total contribution to the redress scheme up to $570 million, will mostly go towards the prevention of child sexual abuse but will also help improve support for children and adult survivors.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the government passed laws on Wednesday allowing survivors to sue institutions where they had been sexually abused as children, closing a legal loophole that had previously prevented them from taking action.

“NSW has continued to lead the way whether it’s in relation to the redress scheme, whether it’s in relation to providing support to survivors,” Ms Berejiklian said yesterday.

“I want to make sure nobody else suffers at the hands of institutions or people who were there to protect the children – not commit those horrific acts which instead have ruined lives and caused so many in the community to have an adverse impact.”

Family and Community Services Minister Pru Goward said the package was about ensuring all NSW organisations “promote a healthy child environment” and that workers are properly monitored.

“We’re also strengthening the ability of parents to know whether or not they are enrolling their child in a child-safe organisation, whether that’s the local ballet school or the local swim club,” she said.

In a statement released yesterday, Catholic Religious Australia welcomed the government's commitment to strengthening and broadening measures to protect children.

"The Catholic Church has long advocated for the expansion of oversight under the Reportable Conduct Scheme to include religious bodies. This has also been supported by other faith-based organisations and survivor advocate groups," the statement said.

CRA said it also supports the government’s decision to transfer the reportable conduct scheme from the NSW Ombudsman to the NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian, with the aim of integrating child safeguarding functions.

FULL STORY

Child sex abuse targets better protected under $127 million pledge (The Daily Telegraph

CRA welcomes NSW Government's $127 million commitment to royal commission recommendations (CRA)

RELATED COVERAGE

Late on Wednesday night a major barrier to justice for child sex survivors came to an end (Newcastle Herald

Mass on Demand

home-video-thumbnail

From Parish of Our Lady of The Way, North Sydney & Lavender Bay. The first Mass of the day on YouTube

Daily Prayer

Daily Prayer

All your daily readings, reflections and prayers can be found here... 

view