The Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney nurtures the spiritual lives of the hundreds of thousands of Catholics in the Archdiocese through its agencies, ministries and parishes, and supports thousands more in the local community through health and aged care, education, welfare and community services. The Archdiocese has embarked on an exciting period of change, and has created a new vision for evangelisation that focuses its efforts to better reach, inform, inspire and engage Catholics and the broader community across Sydney.
Reporting to the Director, Evangelisation Project Office, the Director, Communications and News Media (Director) is a key member of the leadership team that will deliver the new vision of evangelisation in the Archdiocese of Sydney. To that end, the Director will lead a small team that is responsible for communications and news media that relates to the planning and execution of Evangelisation communications activities of the Archdiocese. This will include planning, digital and social media, news management, market research as well as some public relations and press secretarial functions as it relates to the Evangelisation Project and related efforts in the Archdiocese.
Communicating key messages to targeted audiences that are in alignment with the priorities of the Archbishop, together with an ability to meet the specific challenges that face the spreading of the Christian message in modern society, will be a key area of responsibility of this role. The Director will establish goodwill and understanding between the Archbishop of Sydney and the people of Sydney through effective media relations in print, digital and social media. The Director will monitor public engagement generated on behalf of the Archdiocese and collaborate with the leadership team on the effectiveness of communications efforts. The Director will also provide advice and proactive media opportunities for the Archbishop to engage across a range of subjects with Catholic and secular media.
The preferred candidate will have a sound understanding of the evangelising mission of the Catholic Church, a sense of the purpose why the Church embarks in this mission, and the ability to articulate and deliver the message to the people of Sydney on behalf of the Archdiocese. The ideal Director will bring the following knowledge, experience and qualifications:
- A demonstrated commitment to the teachings, mission and values of the Catholic Church
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience in a similar leadership role
- Tertiary qualifications in either Communications, News Media, Public Relations, Journalism or Marketing
- An ability to communicate and influence at senior levels
- Experience in the use of multiple communication channels and platforms
- Demonstrated leadership to drive and manage communications campaigns
- Capacity to manage a variety of stakeholders and achieve specific goals and targets
- Ability to manage communication issues constructively and sensitively
- Ability to reach out in an authentic and charitable way that engages with a broad audience
- A real interest in people, with an ability to confidently and articulately lead and work with a team
- Ability to identify and develop team members to contribute in a positive and effective way
For a confidential discussion about this opportunity and for a copy of the Information Pack which contains details about how to apply for this position please contact Anthony Spata at REACH Human Resources on 0402 210 055 or at [email protected]
Applications close Friday, 7 April 2017.
Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.