- Catholic Education Office, Diocese of Sandhurst
- POSITION TITLE: Education Officer – Primary Religious Education
- REMUNERATION SCALE: EO per Victorian Catholic Education Multi Enterprise Agreement 2018
- REPORTS TO: Team Leader of the Catholic Identity Team
- FULL TIME EQUIVALENT: 1.0
- Commencement date Term 1 January 2020
- LOCATION: Diocese of Sandhurst
- AUTHORISED BY: Director of Catholic Education, Mr Paul Desmond
- DATE: August 2019
Lead and support schools in the implementation of effective learning and teaching practices within Religious Education through facilitation of professional learning, specialist advice and coaching.
The Catholic Education Office (CEO) is a formal office of the Bishop of Sandhurst, and works closely with schools across the Diocese.
The Catholic Education Office participates and cooperates in the work of the Catholic Education Commission of Victoria (CECV), which has key responsibilities for the allocation and distribution of government funding, facilitating cooperation across the four Victorian Dioceses, and working in cooperation with government statutory authorities.
The Director of Catholic Education acts within a delegation from the Bishop in the organisational, administrative, support and service matters related to Catholic schools within the Diocese, including matters related to Religious Education and Faith formation.
The Director of Catholic Education and all delegations via that position operate within the parameters of Canon Law and the Catholic Church structures and processes. The CEO is not the controlling or employing authority for Catholic schools, and the authority of the Canonical Administrators within their parish and/or school is acknowledged and respected.
Each Education Officer acts within the authority of the Director of Catholic Education and is responsible to them for:
- Coordinated service delivery with the Religious Education CoSSI Team in schools in the diocese
- Facilitation of professional learning, classroom and whole-school planning and learning policy development in schools in the diocese
- Provision of specialist advice and coaching of leaders in schools in the diocese
- Implementation of the CEO strategic plan in liaison with the relevant CoSSI Team
The position establishes its own objectives and patterns of work in consultation with the Catholic Identity CoSSI Team Leader, to fulfil organisational objectives informed by the strategic plan, goals and annual goals of the Catholic Education Office.
- Participate in coordinated service delivery for Religious Education to schools in the diocese in liaison with the Religious Education CoSSI Team to ensure effective learning & teaching and/or pastoral wellbeing practices.
- Provide ongoing, on site learning support to classroom teachers in planning, learning & teaching and/or pastoral wellbeing practice and policy development in Religious Education, in order to build the capacity of teachers and professional learning teams. This includes participating in the delivery of the Teacher Accreditation Program.
- Coordinate and facilitate designated networks and teams to ensure effective functioning in line with the annual plan for that group.
- Provide expert advice to, support for and coaching of leaders in schools in the diocese in particular area of expertise.
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the CEO’s Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Management System, including requirements to report and eliminate hazards, follow instructions, and participate in training and consultation processes.
The key identified challenges of this role are:
- Balancing the tension between leadership and service
- Aligning practice with CEO, CoSSI and school strategic directions
- Establishing relationships with schools in the diocese that enable effective facilitation and coaching to occur
The Catholic Education Office is intentionally structured to promote the professional understanding of co-responsibility and co-accountability. Within this structure, this role is responsible:
- CoSSI Team Leader
- For,Catholic Identity
- in regard to the CEO Budget:Nil
- Key Relationships
- CoSSI Leader
- CoSSI Team members
- CEO Principal Consultants
- Leaders and staff of schools
- Other Staff of the Catholic Education Office
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- An understanding of and willingness to work within the Catholic ethos -ESSENTIAL
- A strong understanding of and an ability to articulate the Church’s mission in Catholic education-ESSENTIAL
- Depth of knowledge in particular area of responsibility (Religious Education) --ESSENTIAL
- Postgraduate qualifications in Education and/or Religious Education- DESIRABLE
- Understanding of contemporary learning and professional learning practices--ESSENTIAL
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills--ESSENTIAL
- Effective facilitation and presentation skills--ESSENTIAL
- Sound organisational and administrative skills -DESIRABLE
- Competence in the analysis and interpretation of data--ESSENTIAL
- Ability to work without close supervision and to act independently where appropriate--ESSENTIAL
- Hold a Driver’s Licence and VIT registration or WWCC--ESSENTIAL
- Coaching and the provision of adult learning - DESIRABLE
- Proven excellence as a classroom teacher-ESSENTIAL
- Experience in leadership of teacher teams-ESSENTIAL
- Proven capacity to work in a team environment-ESSENTIAL
- Policy development, review and implementation- DESIRABLE
- Proven record of commitment to ongoing professional learning, particularly in area of Religious Education and Theology-ESSENTIAL
For further information about this role please contact Sharon Warren, Human Resources Officer Telephone: 03 54432377 Email: [email protected] If you would like to learn more about our organisation please visit, www.ceosand.catholic.edu.au