New South Wales health authorities have issued a new alert to churchgoers after a person who attended a Sunday Mass at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Parramatta tested positive for COVID-19. Source: 7News.
NSW Health said the person attended Mass on July 19 at 8am and people who attended this Mass are advised to monitor for symptoms and seek testing if they develop symptoms.
In a statement published by Catholic Outlook, the cathedral said everyone who attended the Mass had been contacted, advised to monitor for symptoms and seek testing if symptoms develop.
“As per our COVID-Safe Plan, the cathedral was wiped down following the Mass. If you have attended Mass at the cathedral since the 8am Mass on July 19 you are NOT required to be tested," the statement said.
NSW Health advised the cathedral that it is not necessary to close, so it would remain open for Mass and services for a maximum of 100 people.
“Under the cathedral’s COVID-Safe plan, our staff will clean pews and other frequently-touched surfaces following each Mass. We will also be temperature-testing everyone who attends Mass and will have hand sanitiser available. To comply with the plan, we can only allow 100 people to attend each Mass and they must register contact details with us.”
Sydney churchgoers on alert after positive COVID-19 case (By Summer Woolley, 7News.com.au)