Arrangements for Latin Mass communities in some Australian dioceses are in “a holding pattern” as bishops consider Pope Francis’ instruction to limit use of the old rite. Source: The Australian.
Several bishops, including Sydney Archbishop Anthony Fisher OP, have written to their priests giving the tick for “business as usual” for now, while they study the Vatican document.
Francis’s motu proprio, Traditionis Custodes (Guarding Tradition), called for an end to most Latin Masses from last Friday.
Archbishop Fisher yesterday released a letter that said “the liturgy must never be politicised or weaponised as an ideological tool by anyone, whatever their liturgical preferences: that would be to factionalise the Church and undermine communion in this sense”.
In a letter released earlier this week, Melbourne Archbishop Peter A. Comensoli pledged “an open-hearted obedience” to the Pope’s document and said the celebration of the old rite is no longer permitted in parish settings. This does not apply to the city’s specially designated Latin Mass parish.
Yesterday, Archbishop Comensoli said his initial response was “a holding pattern” and “no decisive positions have been made”. He was “carefully and openly listening to the voices of our faithful and clergy as we work through how we will implement” the document.
Wilcannia-Forbes Bishop Columba Macbeth-Green said the current arrangements for the three Latin Mass communities in the diocese would remain unchanged.
Catholic Church splits as bishops resist papal edict to discontinue Latin mass (By Tess Livingstone, The Australian)
Giving expression to our faith in ritual (Melbourne Catholic)
A Pastoral Letter from Bishop Columba regarding the “Motu proprio” by the Supreme Pontiff Francis. (Wilcannia-Forbes Diocese)