More than 600 responses have been provided as part of the consultation phase of the Adelaide Diocesan Assembly since a video message was shown at every parish and community in the diocese last month. Source: The Southern Cross.
In the video, Adelaide Archbishop Patrick O’Regan invited people to participate in the consultation by reflecting on the community and diocesan family, and answering the Diocesan Assembly question, “What do you think are the most important things to be discussed at the Diocesan Assembly?”
The gathering is scheduled to take place at Cabra Dominican College on September 17 and 18.
Diocesan Assembly coordinator Peter Bierer said while the number of responses received via the website and postage-paid postcards was “not insignificant” he was still hoping for more people to share their “thoughts, ideas, feelings and hopes”.
“The responses from this consultation phase, along with the local responses from the Plenary Council listening and dialogue process from a few years ago, will guide the development of the agenda for the Diocesan Assembly,” he said.
“So the more responses we receive from a wider diversity of people, the better the discussions will be at the Assembly.”
Mr Bierer said the responses so far touched on a wide range of topics, from the length of homilies and quality of music in parishes, to global issues such as the priesthood and the sacraments.
He added that some of the responses were things that could be passed on immediately to specific communities and parishes to address. The global issues could be discussed and sent to Rome.
The Diocesan Assembly co-ordinating team has produced a short video with a sample of the responses received to date. The video can be viewed at www.adelaidediocesanassembly.org
Consultation prompts diverse responses (By Jenny Brinkworth, The Southern Cross)