Permanent Position – Part-Time or Full-Time considered
About the Diocese
The Diocese of Parramatta is home to more than 330,000 Catholics and is one of the fastest growing dioceses in Australia. The Diocese is made up of 46 parishes, 82 Catholic schools, and more than 43,000 students and includes a number of agencies which assist the Bishop in the pastoral care of the community.
CatholicCare exists to show the compassionate face of Jesus to all. Our mission is to be a strong and visible provider of care for all in Western Sydney and the Blue Mountains with a special concern for the poor and disadvantaged.
About the Role
The role will provide leadership and support to a team of Lay Chaplains and Religious Chaplains who deliver Hospital and Prison Chaplaincy across the Diocese of Parramatta.
Our chaplains work in the public hospitals in Western Sydney to provide emotional, spiritual and sacramental support to patients, their families and staff.
Our chaplains visit men and women in prisons and correctional centres in Western Sydney. The chaplains listen, connect and endeavour to understand and comfort those who might otherwise feel abandoned. They also support inmate's families and as well as staff.
The position will require you to:
• Visit chaplains at their workplace on a regular basis or as required;
• Maintain positive relationships with co-ordinators / managers at relevant hospitals and correctional centres;
• Assist Manager Counselling to plan and monitor the operation of Chaplaincy program;
• Organise in-service training for Chaplains as required (usually twice per year);
• Conduct chaplain appraisals annually;
• Manage and record leave requests for chaplains receiving stipends;
• Prepare reports as required by Catholic Care and funding sources; and
• Other duties as required.
To be the successful candidate you need to have or demonstrate:
• Tertiary qualification in Human Services, Community Development or other related discipline as deemed suitable by Catholic Care;
• Theological study and/or qualification (highly desirable);
• Experience in Chaplaincy and/or Pastoral care;
• Strong understanding and commitment to Catholic Ethos and Catholic Social Teachings;
• Demonstrated ability as a collaborative leader in a complex organisational environment;
• Demonstrated ability to work within a multi-faith context;
• Spiritual and other leadership qualities appropriate to a contemporary Catholic not-for-profit organisation;
• Demonstrated experience in program, service and policy development;
• Proven ability to work confidentially and productively with a high level of tact and diplomacy;
• Ability to work well in a team, to model and demonstrate constructive working relationships and information exchange across the organisation;
• Ability to work under pressure and manage competing demands and priorities;
• Advanced computer skills, including the ability to use Microsoft Office, email and web-based applications; and
• Driver’s Licence and access to a reliable and fully insured vehicle as the position requires visiting sites across the Diocese.
Other Employment Compliances:
• Evidence of Work Rights;
• 100 Points Identification;
• National Criminal Record Check;
• Working With Children Check;
• Covid 19 Vaccination – Minimum 2 doses; and
• Current and unrestricted NSW Drivers Licence.
Applications for the position should include:
• A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role describing how your skills, experience and capabilities align to the criteria in relation to undertaking this role;
• Curriculum Vitae.
If you would like more information or to have a confidential chat, please contact Ms Sha Mi at [email protected]
Applications Close 10pm Sunday 28 August 2022.
The successful applicant is expected to respect and uphold the ethos and teachings of the Catholic Church and the values of the Employer. The successful applicant will also be subject to a Working with Children Check.