The Laudato Si’ Action Platform and Advocacy Project Officer will provide specialist leadership and technical expertise on implementing the Laudato Si’ Action Plan, sustainability strategies and legislative requirements.
The Congregation of the Christian Brothers, active as the Oceania Province, participates in this mission faithful to the Gospel call and the charism of the founder, Blessed Edmund Rice. The province currently is comprised of communities and ministries in Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, with partnerships in East Timor and the Philippines. Presence, Compassion and Liberation are the cornerstone values guiding the community engagement orientation of its work. Such an orientation is a Gospel-based and counter-cultural call to form joy-filled communities of inclusivity, deep listening and right relationship that radiate love and contribute to a sustainable whole Earth Community. The Oceania Province acknowledges the First Nations people as the traditional custodians of the lands where we are located and recognise these lands have extensive significance in terms of relationship for them.
Participation in the work of the Oceania Province offers a genuine invitation to participate in Mission. Mission requires a conscious and compassionate presence to the needs of the world, especially those made poor and marginalised. Authentic mission engagement sheds light on situations in which the dignity of life is being denied and offers instead God’s radical version of wholeness as embodied in the life and teaching of Jesus.
Laudati Si’ Action Plan
The Laudato Si’ Action Platform is a unique collaboration between the Vatican, an international coalition of Catholic organizations, and “all men and women of good will.” (LS 3) Taking a truly ground-up approach, it is rooted in the strengths and realities of communities around the world, empowering all to take “decisive action, here and now” as we journey towards a better future together. (LS 161)
Primary Purpose of the Position
The Laudato Si’ Action Platform and Advocacy Project Officer will provide specialist leadership and technical expertise on implementing the Laudato Si’ Action Plan, sustainability strategies and legislative requirements across all communities and ministries of the Oceania Province of the Christian Brothers. This person will work closely with the Care of Earth Standing Committee and the Formation Team.
In the role of Laudato Si’ Action Platform and Advocacy Project officer the primary focus is:
- Support the development and delivery of the Laudato Si’ Action Platform.
- Develop an Action Plan around the 7 goals through consultation.
- Lead the implementation of the Action Plan.
- Review and report on the Implementation.
- Actively work towards the Province’s Zero emissions 2028 policy.
- Combine aspects of spirituality, cosmology and environmental sustainability and present them with sound, contemporary pedagogy within a theological framework to Christian Brothers and staff.
- Work with Brothers Communities and Oceania Province Staff to ensure environmental sustainability in their residences and ministries.
- Work closely with the Province Formation Team to assist in the development of formation programs based on the Universe Story and eco-spirituality.
- Work closely with the Edmund Rice Justice Centre in areas of advocacy.
- Work closely with the Province Sustainability Officer around issues of sustainability.
- Identify external funding opportunities to support environmental sustainability.
- Develop partnerships with Government agencies and other Catholic entities.
- Identify budgetary requirements for projects and ensure all planning is carried out within budgetary parameters.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
- Tertiary qualifications in an environmental related subject.
- Experience in policy and procedure implementation of sustainability.
- Project management skills in sustainability.
- High level communication and interpersonal skills for liaising with internal and external people at all levels.
- Ability to provide leadership that is centred on the Gospel and Charism of Edmund Rice.
- A deep knowledge and understanding of the document Laudato Si’.
- Ability to work collaboratively and consultatively across a wide spectrum of stakeholders.
- Capacity to work in a team.
- Proven ability in implanting programs and projects around environmental sustainability.
- Experience in the field of advocacy.
- Demonstrate a person-centred approach that is based on Right relationships.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrate the capacity to be organised and organise others in a calm and productive manner.
Competency Area Competencies
- Values & Principles Demonstrated experience in aligning with organisation values and principles.
- Willingness to align with the ethos, culture, and mission of the Oceania Province.
- Development and Delivery of Programs Previous experience in a similar role of developing and delivering programs and presentations to a diverse network. Experience or a demonstrated ability working in adult education is highly valued.
- Interpersonal Engagement Demonstrated experience as a successful, efficient, and effective team member.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships and possess strong interpersonal skills that positively engage with a diverse group of people and levels both within and beyond the organisation.
- Time Management and Self-Motivation Experience in operating within time schedules and independently self-managing work priorities. Ability to adapt to circumstances, work autonomously, take initiative and be a self-motivator.
- Communication and IT Proficiency Excellent written and verbal skills. Demonstrates ability to work in a consultative, cooperative, and supportive team environment with staff and/or volunteers. Demonstrated report writing and presentation skills. Technological proficient including Microsoft Office suite, social media platforms and video conferencing.
- Flexibility Willingness to work flexibly, including working occasional weekends and after hours work to meet the needs of the role. Willingness to travel locally, and nationally regularly, and occasionally internationally. Possession of current drivers licence essential.
- Supervision Willingness to participate in Professional Supervision.
Status and Location
The Laudato Si Action Platform and Advocacy Project Officer is a full-time position, but consideration will be given to part-time arrangements. The initial term is for three years including a 6-month probation period with the possibility of an extension. It will commence January 2023 and will report to the Coordinator of Formation Team and work closely with the Oceania Province Care of Earth Standing Committee. It can be based in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane.
Christian Brothers Oceania Province is a child safe organisation, committed to protecting children and vulnerable adults and has zero-tolerance of any abuse.
Applicants for the position will be subject to:
- Working with Children Check and Clearance
- Federal Police Check and Clearance
- Comply with the Oceania Province of the Christian Brothers’ Child Care, Safety & Protection Policy and Reporting Protocol
For a confidential discussion about the role, contact the HR Department on email [email protected]
To apply, please submit your CV and covering letter addressing the selection Criteria addressed to:
The Deputy Province Leader - to [email protected]
Or mail Attention HR: P.O. Box 851 Parkville VIC 3052.
Applications close 10:00pm (AEST) Monday October 8th
Please note, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.