
Catholic Social Services Australia has expressed concern over Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s announcement that his government will not support the repatriation of a group of Australian relatives of ISIS fighters trying to return home from Syria.
A group of 34 women and children have been detained in the Al-Roj camp in north-eastern Syria after plans for their journey back to Australia were blocked by Syrian government authorities earlier this week.
Both Mr Albanese and the federal opposition have expressed support for adults in the group being blocked from entering Australia.
CSSA chief Jerry Nockles said while both major parties “adopt a hard-lined and hard-hearted approach” towards these women and their children, “we should recall the words of Pope Leo XIV, ‘No human being is defined only by his or her actions. Justice is always a process of reparation’.”
“These women are mothers, daughters and sisters who, even if they have made grave mistakes, remain deserving of our compassion and mercy – especially the children who have been caught up in the conflict,” Dr Nockles said.
“To deny them the opportunity for redemption is to deny the very essence of our Catholic tradition.
“As Lent begins, we are reminded that Christianity is not merely performative but rather a matter of deep conviction.
“We are called to break our hearts, not tear our clothes. This distinction is crucial. We must break our hearts open to those on the margins, because hardened hearts are cold hearts, and cold hearts are uncompromising hearts.”
Dr Nockles urged Australia’s political leaders to “have the courage to offer pathways to repatriation and rehabilitation while ensuring community safety – the latter requiring more courage, but also as the approach that truly reflects our best selves as Australians”.
“These women and their innocent children deserve individualised assessment, not blanket condemnation,” Dr Nockles said.
“Our national security can be maintained for this small group of people while still honouring our humanitarian obligations and our Christian duty to see the dignity in every human being.”
The Government yesterday confirmed one Australian citizen among the group was temporarily banned from entering Australia for up to two years, ABC News reports.
The Temporary Exclusion Order (TEO) was issued on Monday after the Government received information that the group was attempting to return to Australia.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke told 7.30 last night that security agencies had not provided advice that other members of the cohort met the required legal thresholds for TEOs.
FULL STORY
Repatriation of families from Syria (CSSA)
Australian citizen with ISIS links in Syria hit with exclusion order, federal government says (ABC News)
