
About 2000 people attended a standing-room-only vigil yesterday in honour of the Annunciation Parish and School community after a mass shooting at the school’s commencement Mass earlier in the day. Source: NCR Online.
Members of the Annunciation community and nearby Catholic parishes and schools attended the service at Academy of Holy Angels High School gymnasium, led by Archbishop Bernard Hebda of St Paul and Minneapolis and Annunciation parish priest Fr Dennis Zehren.
Archbishop Hebda told the crowded gymnasium that he hoped the community gathered in prayer gave the families a sense that they were not alone. He said he was moved by the children’s stories that friends shielded them from the bullets and praised their courage and love amid a tragedy.
The archbishop noted the many condolences have come in from around the world, including from Pope Leo XIV.
Minnesota Public Radio reported that Archbishop Hebda talked about the inscription at the front of the Annunciation Church that reads: “House of God and the gate of heaven.”
“How is it that such a terrible tragedy could take place in a place that’s the house of God and the gate of heaven?” he asked. “It’s unthinkable.”
United States senator Amy Klobuchar, who was at the service, told the Minnesota Star Tribune that the family of one of the children who were killed attended the vigil.
“Watching that mom and dad with the little sister there is something I will never forget,” Senator Klobuchar said. “It is brave to be here tonight.”
Many graduates of Annunciation attend high school at nearby Academy of Holy Angels, where the vigil was held.
“The vigil is a good example of other parishes coming together,” said Rachel Erazmus, a former student of both schools. “It’s such a true family.”
Attendees said they were at a loss for what other steps churches could take to prevent this violence.
The archdiocese provides training for Church staff regarding maintenance of church grounds, including whether to lock church doors during Mass, a decision left to parishes.
Annunciation had locked church doors during the August 27 Mass, preventing the shooter from getting inside.
FULL STORY
Thousands grieve at vigil following deadly shooting at Catholic church (By Zoe Evans, NCR Online)