
More than 670 poker machine venues across New South Wales will lose their “outdated exemptions” to operate after 4am as the state Government responds to pressure to address “a public health catastrophe”. Source: The Guardian.
The decision, announced by the state’s Gaming Minister, David Harris, will ensure gaming rooms are closed at the mandated 4am deadline. Currently, some venues allow them to be played 24/7.
The change comes after criticism from the Government’s own independent advisory panel on gambling, a damning audit report and political pressure from the Greens and Liberals.
It also follows state Government-funded research that showed poker machine players were significantly more likely to experience harm after midnight.
Mr Harris said the exemptions were no longer acceptable and 673 clubs and pubs would be given until March 31 to adapt.
“Following months of review, it is clear the 20-year-old variations enabling more than 670 clubs and pubs with gaming machines to operate outside the mandated hours were no longer fit for purpose,” Mr Harris said.
The exemptions have been provided for a variety of reasons, including venues being considered tourist destinations or experiencing financial hardship.
Clubs and pubs that believe they have a “strong case” for the exemptions to remain will be able to appeal the decision before March 31, but must meet tougher conditions imposed by the state’s independent regulator.
Those conditions have not yet been announced.
The change will ensure more venues comply with a minimum six-hour shutdown period that allows gamblers to “go home, get out of the zone, and reflect on their behaviour”.
About 20 per cent percent of poker machine venues across the state have some form of exemption.
In October, the conservative Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) backed a private members bill from the NSW Greens MP Cate Faehrmann to remove the exemptions.
“The fact that these exemptions have not been reviewed in 20 years is unacceptable when you think about the social cost,” said ACL’s chief executive officer, Michelle Pearse.
Last month, the NSW Liberals agreed to support moves to end the exemptions despite opposition from Coalition partner the Nationals.
FULL STORY
More than 670 NSW pokies venues to be stripped of ability to stay open after 4am (By Henry Belot, The Guardian)
