Talk to us

CathNews, the most frequently visited Catholic website in Australia, is your daily news service featuring Catholics and Catholicism from home and around the world, Mass on Demand and on line, prayer, meditation, reflections, opinion, and reviews. And, what's more - it's free!

Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk (CNS/courtesy Ukrainian Catholic Church)

Religious leaders in Ukraine called on members of the United Nations Security Council to condemn Russian “terrorist attacks and crimes against humanity” after large-scale strikes across the country. Source: The Tablet.

The attacks on May 13-14 in regions across Ukraine included a missile strike on an apartment block in Kyiv which killed at least 24 people, including three children. The Ukrainian military said it was the largest attack since the Russian invasion in February 2022.

Ukraine responded with a large-scale drone attack on the night of May 16-17 that killed at least four people across Russia. 

The attacks followed the end of a three-day truce on May 9-11 or the anniversary of the defeat of Nazi Germany. Both sides accused the other of violating the ceasefire, which had been initiated by United States President Donald Trump.

“The Russian Federation, while being a ‘permanent member’ of the UN Security Council, has once again flagrantly disregarded international humanitarian law and demonstrated to the entire world the complete immorality, criminality and inhumane nature of the ideology and practice of ‘Ruscism’ – modern-day fascism,” said a statement from the Ukrainian Council of Churches and Religious Organisations on May 14.

It called on the UN “to demonstrate determination and political will in establishing a just peace” by condemning Russia and imposing stronger sanctions on its politicians “as well as Russian religious leaders who are complicit in crimes against humanity in Ukraine by approving and encouraging them”.

The apostolic nuncio to Ukraine Archbishop Visvaldas Kulbokas reported that a Russian strike deliberately targeted a UN humanitarian vehicle in Kherson during the attacks.

He told Vatican News it was “very concerning when humanitarian workers with clear markings are deliberately targeted, so that the population does not receive aid”.

“If the bombings continue with such intensity, it is not a good sign. Rather, it indicates a will to continue the war,” Archbishop Kulbokas said.

The head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church reported that around 95 per cent of the targets struck by the Russia last week were residential buildings or civilian infrastructure.

“The more we speak of peace and an end to the war, the more brutal the enemy’s attacks become,” said Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk in a message on Sunday.

FULL STORY

Ukrainian Churches demand UN action after ‘criminal’ Russian strikes (By Patrick Hudson, The Tablet)