The ACT Supreme Court has dismissed a bid to block what had been described as a “hostile” takeover of Calvary Hospital, paving the way for the territory Government to acquire the public hospital. Source: Canberra Times.
Calvary Health Care ACT asked the court last week to declare legislation passed to enable the compulsory acquisition of the Bruce hospital invalid, describing it as “anything but just”.
Justice David Mossop announced the decision on behalf of a full bench of the court on Friday afternoon.
But lawyers for the ACT Government, which plans to assume control of the hospital on July 3, told the court its legislation entitled Calvary to “just terms”, including reasonable compensation.
The full court is yet to provide its reasons for the decision, but it also dismissed Calvary’s application for an injunction to prevent the Government exercising powers under the takeover legislation.
Calvary’s barrister, David Williams SC, flagged the possibility of an appeal.
But he said it would be difficult to identify any proposed grounds without the court’s reasons, which Justice Mossop promised to provide “as soon as possible”.
The case is due back in court for an administrative hearing next week.
Meanwhile, in a video statement released on Friday, Fr Tony Percy, head of the Catholic campaign to save the Hospital asked supporters to “accept the decision” and write to parliamentarians to voice their protest.
ACT Supreme Court dismisses bid to block ‘hostile’ government takeover of Calvary Hospital (By Blake Foden, The Canberra Times)
Calvary legal challenge dismissed by ACT Supreme Court (Catholic Weekly)
Pat Garcia: Calvary were the pioneers of palliative care (Catholic Weekly)
Archbishop Prowse in Catholic Voice (Weekly Voice)